Flagship Student Profiles
Flagship students come from all parts of the United States with a variety of levels of language proficiency in a Flagship language. Students share the goal of reaching professional proficiency and using their language and cultural skills to contribute to a global society. Each student is contributing to and fulfilling the Flagship vision in his or her own unique way. Below is a sampling of students who have joined the Flagship movement.
- A Flagship Scholar and junior at Michigan State University studies Arabic in the Flagship program and is majoring in Interdisciplinary Humanities. She plans to work in the field of international development using her Arabic skills.
- A post-BA Russian Flagship Fellow completed the overseas program at St. Petersburg State University and went on to interpret for U.S. and Russian personnel for the Washington, D.C. - Moscow Presidential Hotline. He is now pursing a master’s degree at Harvard University studying religious and ethnic issues, especially the interaction between Christianity and Islam in Central Asia.
- A Flagship Scholar and BS/MA senior in biochemistry and Chinese at Ohio State University was recently recognized as a member of the prestigious USA Today Academic First Team. He is currently studying traditional Chinese medicine in Beijing, China, and hopes to pursue a career in medicine with a focus on international public health.
- A post-BA Flagship Fellow in Korean and a student of mathematics at the University of Hawaii designed his own course of study in the Korean language with a Korean-speaking professor from University of Hawaii’s College of Engineering. He went on to earn an MS in information security from Korea University and is currently working toward a Ph.D. in statistics from Ohio State University.
- A Flagship Scholar and senior from Brigham Young University studies linguistics and Chinese studies at Nanjing University in China. She plans to pursue a law degree with a focus on international law.
- A post-BA Persian Flagship student is studying at the Dushanbe Language Center in Tajikistan. He is also proficient in French and hopes to work for the FBI in the Language Services Section.
- A post-BA Flagship Fellow completed the Arabic Flagship program at the University of Maryland. Previously, she earned a master’s degree from American University in Cairo, where she studied forced migration and refugee studies. She is now working for the Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.