What kinds of jobs require foreign language skills?
There are worlds of opportunities that will open up for you should you decide to dedicate your time and attention to the study of a foreign language.
If you aspire to secure a government position, over 80 federal agencies rely on professionals with high-level competence in foreign languages. In addition, an increasing number of U.S. businesses are working internationally and need employees who can both communicate in foreign languages and understand other cultures. Senior executives have identified the lack of language skills as an enormous barrier to increasing American participation in overseas markets and have recognized language acquisition and cultural competence as critical assets for businesses.
Below are some of the careers you could explore:
Government: Civil Service, Foreign Service, Intelligence Agencies, or Military
- Business, Industry, and Commerce: Advertising, Banking, Finance, Engineering, Accounting, Development or Manufacturing
- International Development: Environmental, Health, Education
- Law: Immigration Law, International Trade Law, or Corporate Law
- Media: Public Relations, Social Media, Television, Film, or Publishing
- Services: Health Professions, Social Work, Law Enforcement, Volunteer Agencies, or International Development
- Teaching: Elementary and Secondary Schools, Colleges and Universities, or Overseas Dependents’ Schools
- Travel and Tourism: Hospitality, Transportation, Hotels, Luxury Brands or Restaurants
Your language skills may also make you a standout candidate for scholarships, fellowships, and graduate study.
- Language Flagship Scholarship: Guaranteed $16,000 scholarship each year to Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey.
U.S. businesses need bilingual employees to compete internationally. Flagship graduates leverage their superior language and cultural skills in various careers, offering intercultural perspectives to employers in federal and state governments, global businesses, and nongovernmental organizations.
Some organizations that have hired Flagship graduates include:
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of State
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- The Intelligence Communities
- U.S. Department of Commerce
- U.S. Department of Treasury
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- National Institutes of Health
- Goldman Sachs
- Dow Jones
- Google Inc.
- Ernst & Young
- Deloitte Consulting
- Goldman Sachs