The Language Flagship currently sponsors 26 programs at 22 universities in the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, Hindi Urdu, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, and Turkish.
Undergraduate Flagship Programs are generally designed as four-year programs that offer students from all majors an opportunity to achieve professional-level (ACTFL Superior/ILR Level 3) language proficiency. Some programs offer a 5th year option. Still others offer “pre-Flagship” classes to jump start students on the Flagship path.
Programs are designed to work in conjunction with students’ majors, allowing them to take classes—accounting, history, or political science, for example—in their core foreign language. Through this program language becomes a critical part of students’ education because they learn it in the context of their other academic interests. After completing the Domestic Flagship Program and achieving an ILR Level 2 (Advanced proficiency), students apply to the Flagship Overseas Capstone program for direct enrollment and overseas internships.
All Flagship programs provide:
- Weekly group and individual tutoring
- Integrated content-based instruction and courses across disciplines
- Immersive learning environments, such as language houses
- Cultural functions and events, which compel students to use and improve their language
- The expectation of student success, including the goal of professional level proficiency and "Flagship Certification"
Language Flagship Programs:
* ROTC Program